Monday, May 08, 2006

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 Long-Term Test Update No. 4

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 Long-Term Test Update No. 4 West Coast Office: 10/19/2005 Only One Glitch Makes Sonata "Uneventful" Ride - A Good Thing! The rainy season is settling in on Vancouver (I can you laughing out loud as you wonder when it doesn't rain in the Terminal City, but it really isn't In the rainy season, the Sonata is substantial enough so that the water just parts as we drive on through, no commotion, and no uneasiness. as bad as the naysayers report), making me glad our long-term tester isn't a small, cramped sports car or anything too light. The puddles can build up next to Highway 1's medians, and others, like small lakes, and if a car doesn't roll along with authority it'll get pushed and pulled around in a disconcerting manner. The Sonata is substantial enough so that the water just parts as we drive on through, no commotion, and no uneasiness. I know I've got little to worry about, with its five-star NHTSA NCAP crash test results and all, but truthfully I draw the line with just how far I'm willing to test out every aspect of a given car. And now, with 2,367 miles on the odometer it's time to let you know if anything happened during the last two weeks and 448 miles. As follows, the log entries: Odometer: 1,948 miles Jennifer: I think the word for my day, and this car, should be "uneventful". I don't mean this in a negative way, as the Sonata has been flawless, for me, so far. It's just a vehicle that doesn't put up a big fuss; it doesn't overtax a driver's attention. You get in, you drive, and you're comfortable, warm, and unruffled. It's quick enough when called upon, roomy enough for everyone and their gear, everything is so easy to operate that the word "intuitive" comes to mind. So, not boring, not adrenaline inducing... but just right. Odometer: 1,982 miles Trevor: Wow, reading over Jennifer's last log entry and I think she put my feelings into words too. I really like this car, and it's been a faultless The Sonata has all the power I need while handling corners with surprising agility, rain or shine. performer. Its totally comfortable, completely accommodating, and even has all the power I need while handling corners with surprising agility, rain or shine. Personally, I would like traction and stability control, especially this time of year, but realize that I didn't order this car from the factory or even choose it from a dozen or so at a local Hyundai dealership, but rather accepted it from Hyundai Canada as is. Such features are available on the fully loaded car that I requested, but alas none was available. Odometer: 2,024 miles Trevor: Ah! A problem! The power seat kept sliding all the way forward and crushing me against the steering wheel, as if it had a mind of its own I really appreciated the calm, almost serene environment inside the Sonata. It's so quiet in here, blocking all the honking, hawking and other "H" words that go on in the city's core. and wanted to do me in. Fiddling around with the control mechanism, a long button attached to the base of the driver's seat, a noticed that it was askew. Somehow, it had come off of its moorings and was jammed into the forward movement position. I pulled it off, lined it up properly and snapped it back into place. No harm, no worries. Someone's shoe probably knocked it out of place just before I stepped inside, and there lies the problem. So far, this is the only "eventful" issue with our Sonata. Odometer: 2,069 mile Trevor: Jenn's got an SUV with a TV for the kids this week, so I've been driving the Sonata a lot more than usual. This is good, although she puts a lot more miles on any given car because of activities for the kids, shopping, etc. I tend to park my butt on my office chair and, you guessed it, write. But on the occasion that I need to run downtown for a meeting with a publisher, like I did today, I really appreciated the calm, almost serene environment inside the Sonata. It's so quiet in here, blocking all the honking, hawking and other "H" words that go on in the city's core, making me glad I live in such peace and tranquility on the North Shore. If construction equipment manages to break through the sound deadening materials in the Sonata's roof, doors, floor, etc, the audio system is up to the job of blocking it out. I stock a good supply of relaxing music, as well as head banging rock on hand, but have to admit to wishing I could plug my iPod in somewhere. Where is that accessory plug Hyundai? Hmmm... maybe next year's Sonata will have it. Odometer: 2,136 miles Jennifer: Did I mention that this car is fast? This is a good thing, of course, but it also burns out at every stoplight if I'm not careful. Just think of it. A A just-turned thirty stay-at-home mom, two kids in child safety seats in back, and two strips of black rubber left on the pavement after leaving a busy intersection. While some kids in the audience might think that I'm a pretty cool mom, I'm really a pretty embarrassed mom, especially when do-gooders pull up at the next stoplight looking over at me in disapproval. I cower, hoping that no one will recognize me, happy that I'm only known through print and cyberspace, with not with a photo attached. Traction control would be much appreciated! Odometer: 2,246 miles Jennifer: The trunk is... HUGE! Which is a good and bad thing. It's good, because I can fit pretty well anything within reason in there. It's bad because I let it fill up with what-have-you and therefore can never fit in anything that I need to in the spur of the moment. For instance, I had a stroller, a tall set of plastic drawers, a bag of top soil, a flat of pansies, and the rail to a bunk bed, with room still to spare. But when trying to stuff my rather large Sears catalog order in, it wouldn't go. Therefore, the front seat became a trunk extension and my daughter was squeezed in between the two child safety seats, in back. Odometer: 2,289 miles Trevor: I get so many compliments on the styling of this car that I'm starting to like it even more than I initially did. My brother in law said - during our week-late Thanksgiving dinner - that he had never liked Hyundai's before, but that this one really looked good. Better than any of the Japanese cars that it competes against. So, I'm proud to be seen behind the wheel of my Sonata. Trevor gave the Sonata to Alexandra this week, and put me in a new 2006 Chevy Impala. That was over fast, when I couldn't fit either of the child safety seats into the rear seat. Odometer: 2,312 miles Jennifer: Trevor gave the Sonata to Alexandra this week, and put me in a new 2006 Chevy Impala. That was over fast, when I couldn't fit either of the child safety seats into the rear seat. The Chevy features built-in headrests that stick out so far that the safety seats don't fit snuggly against the seatback. This has them tossing about at every corner, which just won't do. Where's my Sonata! Now I'm driving a four-door Dodge Ram pickup truck. Nice truck, but hardly a city cruiser. At least it's got a DVD player, so the kids are happy. Odometer: 2,356 miles Trevor: Yes, that Impala Jennifer is referring to is a big step forward for this model, and should provide excellent transportation for police officers nationwide, but if I was a perp I'd want the rear seats in the Sonata, which are much more comfortable and seem to deliver greater legroom. The Impala does feature traction control standard, mind you, which is a plus. What Alexandra and I noticed about the car as soon as we saw it, however, was the relative plainness of its dual exhaust pipes. Where the Sonata offers gorgeous oval chrome tips, giving the car an elegant yet sporty appearance, the Impala simply makes do with metal tailpipes, with the mufflers in full view. How drab. Kudos to Hyundai for spicing up an everyday ride. Odometer: 2,367 miles The Sonata offers gorgeous oval chrome tips, giving the car an elegant yet sporty appearance. It's nice to be back in the Sonata. Over the last couple of weeks I've driven a few domestic sedans, and also the new Hyundai Azera - which is very nice if I might say so - but the domestics are missing something. As much as I like the Dodge Charger - it's a fab sedan after all - it's just not a car I would want to run errands in all the time; one, because it is huge, two, that gas gauge needle quickly gravitates to empty, and three, it's so big that I feel kind a' lonely cruising around town solo. I also drove the new Chevrolet Impala for a while, which too is nice, but feels a little empty... empty in a sense that there is a whole lot of room but it doesn't have that cozy feel to it. Some larger sedans just feel more intimate. Do you know what I mean? The Sonata is one of these, and just makes me feel at home. I am very comfortable behind the wheel because I've driven it multiple times, and each time, it just feels great. In comparison with the Charger and the Impala, the Sonata drives and handles much smoother, and feels lighter and easier to maneuver. In the For an everyday car, it's got ample power from the V6, getting me where I want to go with a little extra punch when I'm running late. Sonata, I don't feel like I'm driving a boat. Handling is tighter and not so floaty. Plus, it is way easier to park the Sonata than the other two. I can actually see out the rear window when parallel parking, unlike the other two, and many others, which are high-rumped. There doesn't seem to be one specific feature or function that makes it stand out from its competition, but it's the sum of the parts that put it in a separate, higher class. It's a well-made car overall. I'm still a fan of the styling, and the interior trim impresses me. For an everyday car, it's got ample power from the V6, getting me where I want to go with a little extra punch when I'm running late. It's just a thoroughly enjoyable driving experience. Now that it's getting a little chillier outside, I've got the heat and the seat warmers on full blast. And even with the leather surfaces, the seats don't The stereo system in the Sonata is pretty decent. get too cold overnight. But then again, it doesn't really get that cold here on the West Coast! The MP3 player came in handy as one of my friends made me a CD with loads of songs. And now that I'm on the topic of tunes, the stereo system in the Sonata is pretty decent. I also recently received a Chemical Brothers album from the same friend. Those who know that group know that their songs incorporate a lot of bass and very little treble. The Sonata's system handled the excess bass fairly well. But it's not always Chemical Brothers blaring, Handel and Pavarotti had their turns too. Source: http://www.automobile.com

No comments: