Starting today, 2015 Hyundai Sonata drivers can download the company’s Android Auto app for free, as long as you checked the navigation box on your order sheet. The installation software is available at MyHyundai.com.
To get the app, sedan owners will need to create a MyHyundai account, which will require you to add your name, email address, zip code and Vehicle Identification Number. After creating your account, login using the username and password and follow these steps to download the software.
1. Select 2015 Sonata on the drop-down menu in the top left of the navigation bar.
2. Once the owner gets to the Sonata 2015 screen, they can select downloads in the navigation then
the Android Auto downloads drop-down.
3. On the Android Auto downloads page, the owner must agree to the terms and conditions to activate the download button.
4. Once the download button is active, clicking it will start the download.
5. Once the download is complete, the owner opens the downloaded file and selects run.
6. Upon completing the download, the download tool will start.
7. At this point, the owner connects a compatible USB driver to their computer.
8. The download tool will automatically extract the downloaded files and put them on the USB drive.
9. A confirmation screen will appear when the download is complete.
If you need additional help with this process, there is a How To video on the Hyundai USA YouTube channel.
You will also have to update your vehicle software. To do this:
1. Park the car in a well-ventilated area and start the engine.
2. Connect the USB drive with the vehicle software on it to the USB port in the Sonata.
3. Press the setup button near the radio controls.
4. Scroll down and tap the System Info icon on the touch screen.
5. Tap update at the bottom of the touchscreen. The software update will begin automatically.
Enable Android Auto. Navigate to Connectivity Setting in the Setup menu to find the enable Android Auto on/off switch.
The last part of the process is installing Android Auto on your phone. You will need to:
1. Connect an Android Auto compatible phone to the Sonata via a micro USB cable and download the Android Auto app when prompted.
2. Then the customer needs to hit the Android Auto icon on their touch screen and Android Auto is ready.
Android Auto app software is automatically updated because the app is live on the phone. Destinations, music and reminders are brought to light with the new software, and drivers will stay safe with the lock system, which prevents drivers from looking down and interacting with their phone while on the road. Unfortunately, if you have iPhone, you’re out of luck. You will have to wait for Hyundai to add CarPlay into its vehicles. Hyundai says it has plans to expand Android Auto other vehicles soon and is also working on adding CarPlay.